Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Vacation tickers

Friday, January 16, 2009

Sarah Beth wasn't exaggerating THIS time...

So we all know that SB is a little dramatic and loves being the center of attention and has many perceived ailments...in fact, she will tell you, "I have hypochondria and Dr Guyton says that means I get sick a lot"
So yesterday when she slept all day at Beth's and was hard to wake up, I assumed she was tired because she hadn't slept much the night before.

Then, when she did wake up and complained of a headache, I gave her motrin

and pretty much ignored her when she complained of a sore throat...

and then of being itchy...

and then of her lips hurting...

and even smiled and shook my head when I heard her talking with a pitiful "put-on" raspy voice...


until I looked up and saw these GI-NORMOUS lips
even then, the PICU nurse in me just thought...hmm allergic reaction to something...I gave her some liquid benedryl and a tepid bath and noted some whelps but waited for the benedryl to work...
45 minutes later when Sarah Beth started wheezing, that same PICU nurse realized she had no artificial airway equipment, no oxygen, no steroids and no epi at home and high-tailed it to the ER...
which was slam packed full of not very sick kids and their tribes of laughing-eating-drinking-fighting-rude-yelling at kids for nothing-ignoring bad behavior-making out(not joking!)- obscenity speaking-smelly-trashy-irritating families! Thank goodness a severe allergic reaction bumps you to the very top of the waitlist and we immediately went back where every staff member was a known and trusted friend!!! Hallelujah!!!
By now the benedryl was belatedly working and the lips were receeding...of course!
But no worries... a few steroids and one Scooby Doo video later, we left for home...this time with a script for steroids and an epi pen!
and we will NEVER hear the end of this from our little hypochondriac who said, "Wait till I tell Dr Guyton you just ignored me and I was having a flatic shot (otherwise known as anaphylaxis shock which she was NOT QUITE having but heard the dr and me talking about)!"
She got sent to her room for that remark!
I expect she'll tell him that too! AHH gotta love kids!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh i'm sorry but that's so funny!
Your life would be boring without SB!!! Gotta love her for the smiles she puts on all our faces.
I hope she's feeling better now.

Leigh This Way said...

Wow! What a night! Has anyone figured out what caused it?? Glad she's feeling better. That's so funny about her being so excited to tell the doctor about her trip to the ER. Kids are soo funny!

Libbi said...

we're guessing it was the motrin...even though she's had it before with no problem...but allergies can develop like that so no more motrin for SB!

LaNelle said...

Poor goosey! I feel so bad for her and I'm glad that she knows that atleast I believe her when she is sick! I am glad that she is better now! Tell her that her LaLa loves her!

Kalia said...

Ha, have to love the little smart alecs, eh? Otherwise we couldn't bear 'em!

DeeDee said...

And all this happened after we talked to you. She was complaining when you were on the phone. Things are never dull in the Sheridan household. Can't wait to see you Monday week!

Mikelene said...

Crazy. It was the motrin? wow. Glad she's feeling better. I've had to sit in the ER with Caitlin & your observation about the other people waiting is spot-on! :)

kim e said...

My kids could never take Moltrin. Poor little Sarah Beth. I am glad she finally got some attention and some help. I am glad you are a nurse and knew some familiar faces when you got there. I have heard lots about waiting rooms at the ER! Sorry Sarah Beth had to suffer but glad you got to go to the front of the line.

Marina said...

The way you tell the story is hilarious! I'm sure the experience wasn't, though. Glad she's better.

The Gould Family said...

how scary! i wouldn't have known what to do. SB is lucky to have a nurse for a mom! I'm glad she's feeling better now. And nice that you'll now have an epi pen... i keep wanting to get one just in case, ya know? though I wouldn't know when or how to use it! lol.

Jean said...

See...shame on you for not believing poor Sarah Beth! Send her my way!