Pete and I have had some serious conversations about healthy lifestyles, the word of wisdom, and our pitiful physical shapes! The following (rather disgusting and embarrassing) pics underline the sad truth that we had already accepted...
The above picture cannot be of the former champion long distance runner I married...
and surely this chick was not the only Freshman voted on Coker College's May Court in 1978!
So, we start the journey of portion control and healthier food choices...adding exercise (ughhh) will be the next step...here I go again (but it's Pete's FIRST diet EVER...)...wish us luck...our health is at serious risk if we don't succeed!!!!!!
which brings us to our goal of losing a total of 200 pounds...by New Year's 2010! That's a very distant goal and a bit overwhelming so we needed some help. I have been successful in the past at Weight Watchers and years ago at Form-U-3 (a VERY low calorie plan) but Pete wanted us to do something together and all our own. I thought, "OK. He has supported me for years so I will support him and be open minded!" We have spent weeks researching every plan available and even looked into gastric bypass but in the end, my nurse's brain just couldn't take that risk without trying something less drastic ONE MORE TIME! We decided about the only thing I haven't done is a very planned pre-packaged food diet (because they are ridiculously expensive!!) such as nutri-system or Jenny Craig. Peter has been harping on that route for months and I kept blowing him off...not for me! But, Pete's employer will pay 1/2 of the super duper all inclusive program at Jenny Craig and even pay a good discount on the food. (and then I can join under the spouse program and only pay half of all that!) Then, it can take us however long and we only pay a $39 annual renewal. (so it evens out to less than Weightwatchers since we have soooo much to lose!) Now that we have stopped the fast food daily habit and eating out weekly (or more) habit and with only the twins at home, it is possible to buy the Jenny Food and add fresh veggies and fruit and dairy to it along with what little the twins eat and stay within our food budget (now that the bottomless pit boys are eating elsewhere!!)...still, I wavered...but in the end, I went and listened with Pete and was pleasantly surprised to learn that eating out (albeit only occasionally) and weekly "splurges" are built into the plan.
My only resistance now was health and hunger and taste.
The plan is certainly nutritious and meets dietary guidelines...protein bars and vitamins come with the plan...weight loss is planned to be 1% of body weight per week (or for normal folks...about 1 1/2 - 2 pounds weekly).
So...hunger and taste. That only time will tell...but I started today and the food I ate today was fabulous (although I could have eaten 2 or 3 of everything!!!) and I was even full after a supper of a HUGE salad with a few chunks of apples, grapes and cheese, a "soupetizer" and this delicious main course:






11 comments:
Preston and I also decided that we needed to get a lot more healthy. We both need to lose some weight and we're are determined to make major lifestyle changes to do it. Good luck and I know both of y'all can do it.
good for you! I've always thought those plans were perfect for anyone who could afford it b/c you don't have to calculate and plan so much...just follow directions. How nice that pete's work pays for part of it so it's affordable. You should put some kind of weight loss tracker on your blog or something we can see to keep you focused (if that sort of thing helps you).
oh yeah Beth, that would help but I have no idea how to do that!! but I will try...
I am so excited for YOU!! I love weight watching plans and seeing people be healthy. I always thought that plan would be a good one to try if you could afford it. I will be your cheerleader. I know you can do it. It is so much easier when you have someone doing along with you. You and Pete will do great.
congratulatons for coming up with a fabulous goal.
I think you're so beautiful and this weight loss is going to help you see how beautiful you are. I love you and I'm rooting for you. YAY for Libbi!!!!
Of course I'm excited for ya'll to lose weight. I've heard good things about those portion control plans but they make me nervous long term...I guess I always worried that if I did one once I lost the weight I wouldn't know how to make good food choices unless they were made for me in a little pre-portioned packet. But, you are smarter than me so it probably won't hurt you! And I think that the very most important thing is to be excited and motivated which ya'll are which makes me so happy! And ya know...Marie Osmond did Nutrasystem (different but same idea) and Nancy had to alter a bunch of her stuff and said that she looks AMAZING! Like size FOUR AMAZING! But the "biggest loser offer" always stands! haha...I'm glad you aren't going under the knife...and I think we should all run a 5k this summer as a whole family...everyone included! Sound good to you? I think we should make it a set in stone goal that we can all work towards! Tell me what you think...
Good Luck! I know you and Pete will be very successful!
Wow! What a fantastic goal! And that you & your hubby will be doing this together makes it that much more feasible. Scott & I had a weight loss challenge last spring & it really helped. We motivated each other. Being competitive helped, too. :)
This sounds so "fun"... for a lack of a better word, haha. I love food, so I'm not sure how I would do on one of these diets, but I've been thinking a lot lately about eating healthier too. A row of oreo's every night isn't too healthy, huh?
And really i think its fun to do this with pete. I want to exercise this year and I would love to do it along side of ryan but our schedules really just don't allow for it. Maybe someday.
Oh I'm so glad you have a live-in companion for this goal! It is so hard to stick to something by yourself! You two will succeed that much faster with each other! Sounds like a good plan you've got. And yes, exercise is the next step and a tough one, but so worth it. Nothing makes me happier than being able to run around after Owen (yes sometimes I have to RUN-with more to come in the future). For a while there after I had him I didn't think I could walk to the mailbox without breaking a sweat! But that's how you start! And if you break a sweat then good!
Y'all have a great goal. Being healthy is so important! Y'all will do fantastic together I'm sure!
Post a Comment