Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Vacation tickers

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A quick trip to Virginia

Pete's mom has spent New Year's with us every year since we were married but this year she wasn't able to come so at the last minute, we decided on Sunday morning to drive up to her home near Roanoke, Virginia and visit with her! It was a "less-than-24-hour" trip but we were so glad to get to see her!! She never ages and is always gorgeous! Pete and his youngest sister, Peggy. Peggy and George Hoffman have two sons, George and Jeremy. George and Anna have a precious 2 year old, Ethan.
The twins LOVE playing with Ethan. He amazes me...he's barely 2 but sits and draws...like REAL pictures with details...he is too cute!
We spent a lazy Monday just visiting and enjoying being together...and yes Pete is at the computer checking out the weather forecast for the drive home! It was so good to see Jeremy..he always came with Grandma on her visits and I adore him! We have missed his visits and hope he'll come visit us this year at the beach!
About 6 years ago, Grandma and Peggy and George redesigned the Hoffman's garage and it became an apartment for Grandma...I had never seen it and I was really impressed with their creative use of space...the step up from the living area into the kitchen hides the plumbing and electrical work underneath... She recovered three very comfortable chairs instead of a big sofa and even has a nice fireplace...and the plasma TV up on the wall can be viewed from the bedroom or living area so she only needs one TV...sweet!
Grandma wanted an open concept so she only had a half-wall built between her bedroom and living room and it does seem very spacious that way! Note the two paintings on the wall in the picture below...GRANDMA painted those (no, they are not paint by number!!). She discovered a hidden talent...they are gorgeous!
I love that she left up her Christmas decorations for us...I also liked her quilts...and that the half wall makes a great headboard...smart Grandma!!
The trip was too short but it was so good to visit with Grandma and the Hoffmans! August of 2010 will be Grandma's 80th birthday and we are planning a huge family reunion (maybe at a beach house with a pool near Charleston so we can enjoy the beach, swimming, crabbing and fishing on the river and the historic fun of Charleston!) MARK YOUR CALENDARS!!!!!

3 comments:

Jean said...

Oh...what a great trip you had and I love the apartment! Pete's mom truly does never age, she has looked the same for years..I love her!

kim e said...

Nice remodel. I love to see decorating ideas. Glad you got to go visit. Short trips are fun too.

Leigh This Way said...

I know that it was great to visit even though it was shorter than what you would have liked. They really did a good job on her "apartment"