Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Vacation tickers

Friday, October 10, 2008

Why I Hate To Clean



I get sidetracked so easily. I come from a family of spotless (I mean eat off of the floor any day anytime)housekeepers. Ok so what happened to me? I don't know! I kept my house very clean until Andrew was born and I don't know what happened then...I just fill my day with so much "other stuff" and anyone that knows me well KNOWS I am NOT LAZY! I just get sidetracked. Like tonight. I have been sick but still have to teach the twins and do my online economics (YUCK!!) class and work weekends..BUT that's all I've done for 3 weeks so my house is a total disaster...such a disgrace my grandma is spinning in her grave. And my kids are coming home tomorrow so I couldn't sleep with everything a mess and so I started to clean at midnight. Connor woke up at 12:30 and was hungry (we BEG him to eat!) so I made him "toad in a hole" (fried egg in grilled bread.) While I was cooking, I went ahead and baked the chocolate bites for the baptism and made some other stuff...Then I cleaned the kitchen and at 2 remembered I wanted to check on Tate's cardiologist visit so I did that. I cleaned the bathroom and Sarah Beth woke up at 3 and was "nervous" (her words????) so I washed her hair (don't ask...we are weird like that) and then started on her room and in her closet, I found this picture and it made me smile...LaNelle's 1st date...I love the boy in this picture and I love this picture of Sarah Beth checking him out...ahhh...I miss those days! He and LaNelle were much better friends than daters and they were smart enough to marry people so much better suited for them but I miss their teenage years...and the twins' babyhood. It goes so quick. Tomorrow they get baptized. See what I mean...now it's 4:15 and I have so much more to do...maybe I have ADHD...oh and I found this picture too...it was about 1992 or 93...CJ Dowdy taking Andrew up "hamburger hill" in Charlotte...I miss Jeff and never see Cindy... More memories...to work, Libbi, to work...I need a maid...or a sleeping pill...or maybe ritalin??? No, just more hours in the night! See why I hate to clean???

8 comments:

Leigh This Way said...

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I rarely get the chance to clean and when I do I can spend a whole day cleaning and the apartment still won't be clean. I always end up getting distracted by something or I start in one room and then go put something in another room where I'll see something that needs to be done. At the end of the day the whole place is only half cleaned. And I don't have as much room or as many people living with me! Just remember that sometimes there are more important things that making sure that your house is emaculate, like taking time to spend time with your kids. That was one great lesson that I learned from my mom.

Christi said...

That is one of my favorite pictures! It stayed framed in Joe's room for so long! It's probably still there.
And I have the SAME problem. I'll go to clean and just start looking at things and 2 hours later I'm still in the same box!!

Kalia said...

Crazy lady!! Sounds like quite the party you had! I cleaned late last night too, but only til midnight (doesn't sound late anymore ;-)), which was good, because I am a bear if I don't get my sleep, and I have 2 extra kids today starting from 6 am this morning.

Beth & Rob Bailey said...

I think you and mom BOTH have ADHD - she does the same 'sidetracking' you do - only hers is with a dust rag and a vacuum (gotta have those lines you know!)Rob teases b/c she can't sit through a whole movie without getting up to clean something! You can't finish cleaning without WORKING on something else!
No wonder you're always exhausted! See you tomorrow - can't wait!

The Gould Family said...

It was so sweet of you to think to check on Tate's cardiologist appt. it made me smile to read that you were thinking of us! Thanks!
I'm the same way with cleaning... I get very distracted throughout the day and a lot of things on my "to do" list get bumped over to the next days "to do" list.
I'm so excited for your family this weekend, that the whole family will be together. I can't wait to see the pictures Christi takes!!

Anonymous said...

It made me smile that you were concerned about Tate's appt. too in the middle of the night! What a GREAT nurse/friend.
Yes, that picture is STILL framed in Joe's room. That is one of my favorite pictures too. I just keep thinking about Sarah Beth having Joe wrapped around her finger when she was a baby!!!

Jean said...

Well, I can tell you that we come from the same cloth when it comes to moving in different directions when we clean...I start on something, remember something else, start that, then find another thing and it goes on and on...the only really clean freaks in our family are Momma and Kim. I need a maid too...I am sure by the time everyone got there your house was in order and everything was done (you are like Momma like that as well)! I sure hope the baptism went well..I'm sorry we missed it!

kim e said...

My very favorite poem that hung in my house for years was entitle "Excuse this house"...I can still recite most of the words: Some houses try to hide the fact that children shelter there, mine boasts of it quiet proudly the signs are everywhere. Little smudges on the windows, toys strewn on the floor. I sat down with the children and we laughed and cried and played and if the doorknob doesn't shine there eyes will shine instead. For when at times I'm forced to choose the one job or the other, I want to be a housewife but FIRST I"LL BE A MOTHER!

The house work will always be there. (My perfect little vacumned carpet is way more beautiful when I see all the little piles of stuff strewn about when my kids and grandkids come home.) That makes it a home!