Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Vacation tickers

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I Found a Poem about my Little Sister!!!!!!

OK I admit it. I should be reading my scriptures or reading economics or something useful but it is my 1/2 hour break from teaching the twins while they eat and I still feel horribly ill but my misery will not let me concentrate and I dare not fall asleep or I'll sleep all day so I'm just web-browsing...and on someone I do not know's blog, I found this hilarious poem about us over achiever LDS women...the funny part is that almost ALL of this (just scratch the mechanic parts) almost ALL of it IS TRUE about my sister Kim...but Jean and I are working on her!!!!!! ENJOY...



The Girl in a Whirl by 'Dr. Sue' ( a.k.a.. Vickie Gunther)

Look at me, look at me, look at me now!
You could do what I do
If you only knew how.
I study the scriptures one hour each day;
I bake,
I upholster,
I scrub,
and I pray.
I always keep all the commandments completely;
I speak to my little ones gently and sweetly.
I help in their classrooms!
I sew all they wear!
I drive them to practice!
I cut all their hair!
I memorize names of the General Authorities;
I focus on things to be done by priorities.
I play the piano!
I bless with my talents!
My toilets all sparkle!
My checkbooks all balance!
Each week every child gets a one-on-one date;
I attend all my meetings (on time! Never late!)
I'm taking a class on the teachings of Paul,
But that is not all! Oh, no. That is not all
I track my bad habits 'til each is abolished;
Our t-shirts are iron ed!
My toenails are polished!
Our family home evenings are always delightful;
The lessons I give are both fun and insightful.
I do genealogy faithfully, too.
It's easy to do all the things that I do!
I rise each day early, refreshed and awake;
I know all the names of each youth in my stake!
I read to my children!
I help all my neighbors!
I bless the community, too, with my labors.
I exercise and I cook menus gourmet;
My visiting teaching is done the first day!
(I also go do it for someone who missed hers.
It's the least I can do for my cherished ward sisters.)
I chart resolutions and check off each goal;
I seek each "lost lamb" on my Primary roll.
I can home-grown produce each summer and fall.
But that is not all! Oh, no. That is not all .
I write in my journal!
I sing in the choir!
Each day, I write "thank you's" to those I admire.
My sons were all Eagles when they were fourteen!
My kids get straight A's!
And their bedrooms are clean!
I have a home business to help make some money;
I always look beautifully groomed for my honey.
I go to the temple at least once a week;
I change the car's tires!
I fix the sinks leak!
I grind my own wheat and I bake all our bread;
I have all our meals planned out six months ahead.
I make sure I rotate our two-years' supply;
My shopping for Christmas is done by July!
These things are not hard; 'tis good if you do them;
You can if you try!
Just set goals and pursue them!
It's easy to do all the things that I do!
If you plan and work smart, you can do them all, too!
It's easy!" she said
and then she dropped dead.


Well, I hope you don't die anytime soon, Kim...we need you too much! And you know I love you and admire your perfection!!!! Now you young girls who think you must do it all and do it all perfectly and do it all RIGHT NOW...relax, enjoy, PACE YOURSELVES!!!! and laugh at yourself from time to time and we can all laugh together too!!! Life is meant to be full of JOY and also a learning ground...not a parade ground!!!! time's up...I'm gone!

6 comments:

Jean said...

Hahahahahahahaha! I laughed and laughed when I read this poem because there is a LOT of it that reminds me of Kim! She is the perfect one in our family and I love and admire her for it and WISH I was ANY of those things! That was a great poem and if that is what makes us drop dead then I will be here forever! Thanks for the laugh...it was good! I love you both and hey, isn't it great that we know someone who can relate to that poem...okay, Kim..slow down now so you won't drop dead, we couldn't live without you here...you keep us all straight, and try to keep us on diets as well...hahahahha!

Kalia said...

That's a good one, really funny! I had to rob it for my blog. How true that this is the "ideal" goal for so many of us, yet beyond our grasp! That's why we should take it all in stride and choose our battles!

kim e said...

Alright sisters of mine!!! I saw many lines in that poem that only applied to you and not me. I cried when I read your story about work Libbi and I think how smart and kind you are to people you don't even know and how you bless your community every day and comfort those who are so hurt or so scared. ( Like the time you took the time to go with you sister to the doctor and keep her from hyperventalating.) Jean, how you so amazing forgive others and reach out to lift another and look beyond your on hurt or sadness.
I wish I could prepare my seminary lessons as quick as I can clean the toliet, organize the house or vacumn those lines in the carpet! Believe me, I am NOT overachieving in teaching each day. I need ya'lls gift of gab and quick knowledge! Thanks for the compliment though. I love my sisters!

Beth & Rob Bailey said...

That was so funny - isn't it funny how other people perceive us?? (I so wish I could do everything and be everything sometimes).
A few weeks ago in RS, at the end of the lesson, the teacher mentioned how we often (unfairly) compare ourselves to that sister that can....[long list of perfections].
Later that week, a friend of mine (my VT companion) asked if I saw her looking at me during that. I said, no, why? I was too busy thinking of one or two other sisters who met those perfections and wishing I could do all that. She surprised me by saying that she thought of me that way - that I could do everything...
(I wish I had it all together as much as some of my friends are fooled into thinking I do!! haha)

Perfection is such a perception.

LaNelle said...

Ok that was hilarious...yes it sounds like Aunt Kim, but I thought of Beth too....SOOOO funny! I doubt I'll ever be like that haha

Anonymous said...

I loved this poem. haha but i really liked what you wrote at the end about laughing at your self. That reminded me of elder worthlind's talk during general conference about learning to laugh through trials. Sometimes its hard to see humor in all situations, but it sure makes life a lot easier and more entertaining! :)