Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Vacation tickers

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

SC Virtual Charter School (SCVCS)

Everyone thinks I'm crazy (no news break there!) but I have NEVER been a mom that counted down the days till school started. It sounds weird but I actually LIKE hanging out with my kids! I'm not a homeschooler freak...in fact, I pretty much disagree with most reasons people homeschool and I think structure and accountability are good things...but having said that, let me remind you that I homeschooled Patti in the 3rd grade, fought for LaNelle to be out on medical leave most of the 9th grade, homeschooled Patti again for the first 1/2 of 8th grade and homeschooled Peter for 1/2 of the 11th grade. There was a unique reason for each time and except for Peter, we did it through the school district and stayed with their curriculum to the tee.

There is no good reason to pull the twins out of public school. Except I miss them. Nursing school robbed me of 3 years of their life...they were fine with lots of attention from a brood of older siblings and the best Dad in the universe but I missed them! Now, I work weekends and traditional school only allows me a couple of hours with them each weekday and it just isn't enough! We have had a fabulous summer and I am just not ready to lose them to a traditional school schedule...but they are both extremely smart and neither do I feel qualified to spearhead their education.

So to the rescue comes SCVCS. It is a SC charter school, part of the SC Board of Education. The curriculum is K12 (an internet homeschool curriculum...very good and ridiculously expensive...check it out at www.k12.com) but the twist is that SC pays the tuition and provides (at no cost) the supplies, books, work sheets, etc down to rocks and dirt for the science experiments...delivered to our door. I log in daily to get assignments and lesson plans but the twins have a certified teacher that keeps up with them, their progress and is available for any questions. They take all tests on the computer except for the standardized tests and those they take at the elementary school. They have to complete 180 lessons in each core subject but can move up or down a grade according to their level in math and language arts. Soccer practice and games count towards PE hours and Primary singing time towards music. All together, they have to complete 6 hours a day for 180 days but when, which and where are up to us. So we can visit Kalib and Grandma in NC or hang out at the beach with Daddy Tom and DeeDee as long as we have computer access. (I have missed being with extended family because of school/work constrictions!)

I'm their primary "learning coach" but Pete is the science teacher...he is excited about that actually and will incorporate the lessons into weekend field trips while I sleep.

the down side? Well, obviously, I will have no free time but I tend to waste that anyway. I have lots of family and friends they can visit when I need a break...they are not babies but very self-sufficient almost 8 year olds! another down side? socialization. We'll have to work a little harder to keep them connected to friends but the up side to that is WE control what kind of friendships they develop. They like learning, like reading, are wildly excited about a virtual school and so we are going to attempt this!

Wish us luck!!!!!! I'll keep you posted...

9 comments:

LaNelle said...

yep you are crazy! 100% absolutly without doubt crazy...but come on...we have known that forever! lol. But I will say that as I have been offically trained on all things public school through my college education, I am not impressed. I personally want my children to go to private schools where I can teach drama, they can have a real school experience, but we can avoid the unimpressive parts of public school like the No Child Left Behind act which is out of control ridiculous. So I applaud your willingness to do whatever it takes to provide the best education for the twins. So there is my "professional" almost certified teacher opinion. And now when I come home to visit I can have more time with my little twiners! Oh and just a random thought...are you gonna find school lunch trays for the twins to have lunch on like you did when Patti was in the 3rd grade? lol I always thought that was cooL!

The Gould Family said...

You remind me so much of my mom, I love it! My mom couldn't ever wait for summer vacation and then was always sad when it was over and didn't want us to go back to school. I loved knowing that she really enjoyed having us around, I"m sure you're children love knowing that too! I will probably be the same way when my babies are in school.
I'm not a fan of home school either, but this plan actually sounds really great! I bet you guys will really enjoy it. Please update as the year goes on, I"m really interested to hear how it goes!!! ;0)

Anonymous said...

that is really interesting - I'd like to hear how it pans out. You can take a field trip to my house and see how a circus is run! :o) Jackson loves SB and Connor and probably wouldn't mind having play time with them.

Anonymous said...

Alright now...don't be going on and on about us homeschooler people..I am sure I am not smart enough to teach Mikey or any of my kids but at least I get to do it my way and I think they are doing fine on the social end of things as well! I know your kids will love virtual school and you will get to spend a lot more time with them which you will all enjoy! See you soon! Love, Jean

myglorydays said...

where was this program when I home schooled Dare? I love your program. Home schooling was hard to stick to plans but did get Dare into the college(s) of her choice something pblic schools was not going to accomplish. Good luck with it & good job.
We are still looking at moving to SC & I like to hear positive things about it. Thanks, Jewel

Beth & Rob Bailey said...

I agree (with the crazy part)...haha. For real... I disagree with most of the 'standard reasons' people homeschool (Jean is not 'standard'...haha - I meant in regards to homeschooling reasons). I attempted preschool homeschool to see if I had it in me to homeschool if need be someday...yeah, I wussed out after a semester! I think the only reason I would homeschool would be if the schools were super bad or if homeschool benefits outweighed traditional school benefits. By the way, I did stitch Seth's name into his really cool beach towel - and he got everything he wanted for school - even some ugly camo pants.
I have heard of a few families that really take homeschool to a whole new level.
The science on the weekends with dad sounds like a great way for them to spend quality (and educational) time with him. Does he know how to use a camera? (I know many dads don't - chuckle - but that would make some cute bloggin' and scrapbooks!)

Kalia said...

Sounds interesting! And looks like you guys had a ton of fun on your vacations! Loved the pics!

Anonymous said...

Update time

Christi said...

Well, like LaNelle said, you being crazy comes as no surprise! ;o) But being a kid (aren't we all kids to someone?), I can think of nothing better to "say" to your children than having them home instead of at school because you love and miss them.
You go girl! Let us know how it goes... :o)