Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Vacation tickers

Thursday, October 18, 2007

The original LaNelle

Grandma Nell and my ALL-TIME FAVORITE great uncle Corbin (Andrew was named for him!!) They were the youngest of six kids and very close...Uncle Corbinwas as full of life as his sister Nell!
Grandma Nell and one of her many horses...she was very involved with the Quarter Horse Association and taught us all to ride...well, except Kim who was afraid!
Grandma Nell as a young woman...I wish I'd known her then!!! But I guess it's best I knew her when I did!


I miss her so very much! I haven't seen her since the summer of 1977..over 30 years...that just seems impossible because she is so firmly etched in my memory. She was the most incredible person I ever knew and I was so honored to bear her name. Patti wrote a beautiful story about Grandma Nell (who actually preferred to be called just "Nell" because only old women were grandmas!!) and it has made me miss her soooo much! She taught me to play Rook...and how to cheat, too! but she was always OBVIOUS about "talking across the board" so it wasn't really cheating! She was the most generous person on earth and when she gave you something...she GAVE it to you...she never ever gave it with stipulations or tried to control what you did with her gift...it was yours and you could do whatever however whenever...she truly was one of those rare people who gave for the sheer joy of giving. She never stayed "down"...whatever was wrong could be fixed or if not, then ignored (Scarlet O'Hara had nothing on my Grandma Nell!!! She was the queen of "worrying about that tomorrow"!) I know she had a wild few years when she was young but by the time I knew her she was the pillar of society...supporter of young struggling preachers, business owner, committee chairperson, etc...but even when she was a "grown-up", I saw glimpses of the free spirit she truly was...born WAY ahead of her time! She was a pilot (one of the very first in Mississippi!) and I can imagine she loved the freedom of the skies!!!

Everyone..young/old/rich/poor/man/woman/child...we all wanted to be around her. She was funny and fun! and she loved you with her whole heart...I was so lucky to have known Florence LaNelle Kees. and I'm thankful for eternal families... I can't wait to see her with my children...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet that makes LaNelle proud to have her namesake!

Libbi said...

I think so! The recent "LaNelles" are Florence LaNelle Kees, Vivian LaNelle Jones, Elizabeth LaNelle Swilley, and Margaret LaNelle Sheridan...and one day(I can't remember the first name but it starts with M) M--- LaNelle Simons!

Anonymous said...

That's a great story! I love hearing about people's ancestors. I wish I knew more stuff about mine! Maybe I should work on that...

LaNelle said...

Well I think its fair to say that I inherited more than just the name from Grandma Nell! I wish I could have met her!

LaNelle said...

Oh its McKenzie!!!

kim e said...

Loved the pictures! She was such a fun Grandma. I always think of her love for people and her giving.
Thanks for taking me down memory lane. I think Jacob would have been her buddy!