I was not very well in the days after Peter's surgery and so I didn't post about it...I still haven't uploaded my pics but here are some (RATHER GRAPHIC) ones from Peter's facebook...
but first...here's the story...
In the MTC, Peter chased a basketball, twisted to throw it in bounds and fell. He heard an ominous loud POP! It was Friday afternoon so he was in agony all weekend...and it was Pioneer Weekend so it was Tuesday before he was seen...and then doc called to tell us
A) he had to have surgery as soon as possible
B) he had to come home because the entire recovery period would be 1 year (we didn't believe him, we all thought Heavenly Father would intervene but he didn't)
C) the injury was complicated andhis knee most likely would never be the same (understatement!)
In August of 2005, Peter had the ACL replacement surgery using one of his own tendons for the ACL. It was horrible for him (and not really fun for anyone associated with him)! More pain than I can even describe..he had lots of bone fragments and injuries that added to his misery and several miniscus repairs also. Not to mention he was heartbroken about coming home from the MTC and more than a little bit angry at everyone in Heaven and on Earth!! Our hearts would break over and over for him in the next year and a half (when I wasn't ready to kill him)!!
In April of 2007, the pain that had never completely left, increased to unbearable and he had to have the same surgery except this time, they tried with a donor ACL as his body had chewed up his tendon...less pain afterwards because they didn't rip out his tendon and because the bones were healed. But, still, significant pain and more miniscus repairs, too. He pushed hard to recover and soon went out West to work with Steven and LaNelle and although his knee hurt, his heart and soul were healed that summer. Amazing the difference that makes!
In the Fall of 2008, now a junior at Clemson, his knee started hurting and it became swollen...and he recognized that popping sound...he was so very very sad to hear that once again, he had no ACL...and this time, he was less angry and more frightened...he has matured and become such an awesome young man...and he wants to be active and one day play with his kids...and let's face it, he dreaded the pain and long long recovery...
In the Fall of 2008, now a junior at Clemson, his knee started hurting and it became swollen...and he recognized that popping sound...he was so very very sad to hear that once again, he had no ACL...and this time, he was less angry and more frightened...he has matured and become such an awesome young man...and he wants to be active and one day play with his kids...and let's face it, he dreaded the pain and long long recovery...
This time he chose a surgeon at Blue Ridge Ortho in Seneca, SC...they repair the Clemson athletes' injuries. Right off, I liked Dr Martin! He scheduled surgery for October to possibly repair the miniscus injuries and take some bone from Peter's femur to repair those old bone injuries and build up his knee to receive and KEEP one final ACL.
So, on my birthday, October 24, 2008, Peter had the surgery...the miniscus could not be repaired any further so it was lost (OUCH!!) but the bone harvest and graph went well. He had it on Friday and returned to class on Monday (on crutches and a little high on painkillers but there nonetheless!) and so although he barely missed the President's list, he did manage the Dean's list that semester (impressive)!
He was dreading the big surgery scheduled for Spring Break and I really worried for him and also was sad that he felt so alone...but then came Ellen and she is so precious, she just made the worst possible situation so bearable...for everyone!
(the day before surgery at Isle of Palms)On March 13, he had the surgery and this time they harvested his ham string..ow ow ow ow..and ended up having to put him under general anesthesia...we found out Peter is highly allergic to fentnyl and toradol... we left the surgery center and went to the Hampton Inn for 3 days. It's probably a blur to Peter because Ellen and I kept him as medicated as possible!! He was mostly sweet...just hurting and still so scared about future mobility issues.
the scar from the surgery (above) and the bruising from the ham string harvest and the awful edema..or swelling (below)

Ellen and Peter share a dog...Chloe (he had no idea when they named her that Jared and Kristen were naming their daughter that!!) I don't like dogs so much but she sure loves Peter!!! and was glad to see him when we returned home...

After seeing his surgeon that Monday, we came home...I had been gone a week and had LAUNDRY coming out of my ears, the twins were BEHIND in OLS lessons and it was end of term paperwork time, we had Chloe (learning to be housebroken), and I was very ill and we DIDN'T have Ellen and her magic touch...not a fun week for me and downright unbearable for Peter...especially since he was off the super duper narcotics and on the should-have-been-powerful-drug-but-didn't-work-for-him...dilaudid. I was not a nice nurse or a very sympathetic and loving Mama.
So Ellen came again and rescued us from each other..thank you Elly!!!
Peter is back in his apartment in Clemson...going to therapy...using a cane (reminds me of the dr on House!)hurting and unable to drive...and having to cook and take care of himself...but I am going tomorrow to take him to therapy, stock his fridge and see what I can do to help him.
He is trying to be optimistic but is worried for his classes (incompletes might have to happen), worried about income (his college job was as a referee..OUT!...and summer internships are non-existant this summer in construction management), worried for his mobility...and mostly just hurting...a ton!
my poor boy..
y'all say a prayer for him, please!!






5 comments:
Poor guy! I'll be feeling some of his pain in two days when I have my tonsillectomy. I'm getting pretty nervous...
I feel his pain, well not all of it but I sure do know what he's going through. I know how he feels about the dilaudid. When I woke up from my surgery the nerve block didn't work so they gave me some dilaudid and some ondansteron and I still got really really sick. Poor guy. Glad that he's on the road to recovery. Hopefully, this one will work and he'll be as well as possibe. Does the doctor have any plans for replacing the lost meniscus or is he just gonna leave it all alone since Peter's had so much trouble with the knee??
ouch! hope he heals quick and his pain goes away.
no replacement for the meniscus..he just has to learn to live without it!
And what does the meniscus do - or rather "did" in Peter's case? Sure sorry he's in such a fix because he certainly doesn't deserve such luck. Maybe the days ahead will be better. I'm sure having such a sweet girl by his side will help some. Love the dog - ironic the name. Hope Peter will at least get to spend some time at the beach.
Post a Comment