This will be a boring post to many of you so it doesn't hurt my feelings if you skip it! But many ask me about the interview I go through for the big $10,000 scholarship and I can never remember the questions so while they are fresh in my mind, I'm documenting them and my answers (as best as I can remember them!)
The interview committee consisted of a mix of 6 board members and directors (Human Resource, Organizational Development, Chief of Nursing). They are incredibly nice, very warm and not at all intimidating (not that I intimidate easily). I had to sit in a chair at the end of a massive table and each member asked a question. Pete had given me a blessing and as I was promised, the answers came fluently. They smiled a lot, took notes and nodded in agreement to much of what I said. Sometimes they laughed and they made many good comments like "That shows incredible resource skills" and "I'm glad you realize how important it is to help new staff." I felt really good about the interview but will be very nervous until I hear from them...they make their decision and present it to the Board of Directors on June 9th (my anniversary) and we should get the results by the end of June...I'll let you know either way!!
1) Can you describe an example of when too many demands were placed on your time and how did you handle it? (they all laughed asking this!!)
I could give you hundreds, of course. The first that comes to mind is work related. Last Friday evening I was in charge. The PICU and the PII are seperated and I had to assign one nurse to the PII and she had a trached patient...the rules demand that I put a 2nd nurse, secretary or tech there when a trached patient is present. I didn't have any of the above. We had some very ill, very busy patients in the unit and no secretary, no tech. The PICU nurses were getting report when a resident came in to ask if I could take another PII patient from Kershaw. I agreed and thought I'd quickly get charge report and then set up the bed but less than a minute later, the patient rolled through the door with EMS. I had to scramble to find a bed, get the room ready and accept the patient myself . When I am in a situation like that, I try to quickly prioritize the tasks needed and then block out the rest and handle one at a time starting with the most critical. It usually works.
2) Your supervisor wrote a beautiful letter in your behalf describing many of your stellar attributes. What do you think your managers would say are your best qualities and what might they think you need to work on improving?
Without a doubt, I would say that I have great time management skills...at least at work! I worked full time while in school with several children at home and I had up to 44 patients in a long term care facility as an LPN and so I have honed those skills. I operate well with "too much on my plate". I also bring maturity and a strong work ethic...I am not lazy and do not need to be micromanaged. I love what I do and I think the families feel that. I enjoy learning and constantly strive to improve my skills. I have a respect for chain of authority and work well with our physicians. As far as weaknesses, my most glaring is communication skills with some of the younger, newer nurses. I expect everyone to do their jobs well and I tend to be bossy and have been heard to say, "Come on kids, let's get to work!" I have had to realize that these are professionals and I need to address them as such and not degrade them by calling them children...I'm working on it. I do believe it is important to grow our new nurses and want to do that well. I feel like I've made progress but it is an area I am striving to improve in.
3) I understand you passed the CCRN exam. Let me congratulate you and say I am very impressed. (this was the director of nursing) Can you tell us about that?
The CCRN is a certification exam that is a national board certification that implies you are a highly skilled critical care nurse. My manager was offering to pay for about 15 PICU nurses to attend a review class for this exam and I asked if I could attend. My manager wasn't discouraging but she questioned my ability to qualify to take it as one had to have two years critical care experience and I only had about 14 months. I researched it and found that it isn't years but hours that qualify you to sit for the exam. I had worked a lot of overtime and so I would have the needed hours by the time the class ended and I had to apply to take the test. My manager included me in the review course and I was one of 3 PICU nurses to pass the exam. I was impressed with myself and not a little bit shocked! I am grateful Brenda gave me the opportunity!
4) What are your career goals and how do you think the education you are seeking will help with those goals?
When I first came to you, I said my greatest desire was to be an RN and work for Palmetto Health as a bedside nurse. That hasn't changed but as I have taken on additional responsibilities as a charge nurse, I have come to realize I enjoy leading. I love this hospital, especially the Children's hospital. I believe as we grow, there will be many opportunities for leadership and I want to be qualified to seek those positions. I believe that Midlands Technical College fully prepared me to be an excellent nurse and I really didn't believe I needed the additional courses necessary for a baccalaurete degree. I have come to realize that I do need the senior level leadership and management skills I can gain in such a program and I am excited to begin classes this fall. I want to eventually be a manager and I want to be an excellent leader. I know this course of study will enable me to reach that goal.
5) Can you give us two reasons why you want to work for Palmetto Health?
Absolutely. First and foremost, I love this hospital. I like being associated with the best. I teach my children to strive for excellence in everything they do and I live by that. I truly believe we have the very best healthcare system in the midlands and I will always want to be part of a winning team. I know you went to the same meeting with John Singerling that I did and I can tell you that I totally buy in to his mission...I agree with his remarks and want to be part of the team that elevates us to excellence in all areas. Second, I love pediatrics and I am very excited about our new Children's hospital. I know it will continue to grow and I want to grow with it! However, because we are a tetitiary (teaching) hospital, there are so many opportunities to learn and do something different...I love hearts and one day I might be ready to try that. Pretty much anything I'd be interested in learning and doing is here at Palmetto Health. I have no plans to ever work anywhere else. This is my professional home.
6) Each year, our applicant pool has increased. The competition is stiff and we have a wide variety of employees seeking to further their education. Our job has become very difficult. We had 48 applicants this year and narrowed it to 18 finalists to interview. After the interview process is over, we will meet and be forced to narrow that field to 7 winners. Why should we chose you as one of those 7?
Personally, I want this scholarship so that I can attend school now. I will have three children in college next year that are still on my payroll and I cannot put my educational desires above theirs. I would be lying though if I said I had to have this scholarship to complete my BSN desgree. I would have to wait four years but I would eventually be able to complete my goals. However; I think you are asking me what benefit would Palmetto Health gain by choosing me. I have a proven track record. I came to you in 2004 and asked for your help and told you I would use that help to complete my ADN and work here as a Registered Nurse. I did what I said I would do. It wasn't easy and I encountered many obstacles. Since last meeting with you, I've lost my grandparents, seen one child married and another face a heartbreaking illness, experienced the joy of becoming a grandparent, grieved with my sister when her 5 year old son died and in general..experienced the many ups and downs of a busy family. Throughout it all, I stayed focused on my goals and delivered on my promises to you. You know I will do what I say I will do. In addition to working as a staff nurse, I have sought out opportunities to serve on shared governance committees, I am a "Skin Champion" and part of that committee, I have volunteered for many foundation events and have accepted the challenge to lead as a charge nurse. If you choose me, and I pray you do, you are gauranteed a return on your investment.
That was it. I had fun and we chatted a little afterwards about the new hospital and I thanked them again for making it possible for me to realize my dream. I know they like me and are impressed with me but I honestly do not know if they will give me the scholarship...this sounds egotistical but I am almost afraid they will think I will figure out a way with or without their help and so they'll choose someone else who might not! But, I enjoyed the process and one day, I hope I get to be on that board!
Wednesday, June 4, 2008
My Interview
Posted by Libbi at 9:48 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






5 comments:
I sure hope you get the scholarship Libbi!! That would be so exciting!
Good Luck!!! I hope you get it!!!!! Come see me when you can. You and your family can swim in the pool.
Okay...that was cool! I thought you did a great job and feel like after that you deserve the scholarship! I am praying that you will get it! Keep happy thoughts!
Good luck! I can't wait to hear if you get it!!
Wow, Impressive! As usual you gave excellent answers. I have no doubt they will pick you.
Good luck!
Post a Comment