Today I went to Church because I didn't have to work last night. I am so glad I was there. Brother (as in 18 year old) and President McConkie (as in mission president) spoke and it was awesome. Simply awesome. President McConkie spoke of lessons learned from his Dad (as in Elder Bruce R McConkie).
President McConkie spoke of going to his Dad with spiritual questions and expecting answers (well hello, his dad was an APOSTLE!!!) and he said that usually, his Dad would say, "I don't know. And you may quote me." That would be the clue that his father expected his child to search, ponder, and pray. he was teaching his children to get their own inspired answers, to study the scriptures and ponder answers. When they did, and returned with answers of their own, most often Elder McConkie would then engage his child in deep spiritual discussions.
I thought back to my youth and asking spiritual questions of my Dad (as in preacher)...he often would say something like, "It doesn't matter what I think or anyone else thinks...seach the word and find book, chapter and verse. You have to know for yourself. You have to seek knowledge and understanding." I too had the blessing of a father who taught me to search, ponder and pray. We have different creeds but our beliefs are actually quite a bit similar than he realizes and I am so thankful that like Nephi, I was born of goodly parents!
President McConkie also spoke of his father's death and the last moments they spent together. He said that his father had received a blessing and knew the time was drawing near for him to leave this earth for another mission. He expected to be counseled, to hear final words an apostle would have for his son...and he received them. Not paragraphs to fill his journal...not even sentences. Just two words...Carry On.
He said a lot in those two words. He said, You've been taught correct principles, you've seen the Gospel in action. You know what it's all about and you know how to return home. You are engaged in living the plan. I have no worries that you will be able to continue choosing the right without me here to guide you. I am leaving you now, so, Carry on!
Sunday, June 21, 2009
Carry On...
what an awesome blessing...to have children who know the plan and live the plan...children who only need to hear the words... Carry On! That's hard sometimes. Life comes at you and makes you want to quit. But we must not. Take a deep breath, shift your burdens if you must, set your sight and then...just...
Carry On
Posted by Libbi at 9:13 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






4 comments:
Wow! What a great lesson! Thanks for sharing the inspirational message...I love those!!!
I loved that! Thank you for sharing!
Thanks, Libbi. How did you know that today of all days I needed to hear those words!!! I LOVE YOU!
How wonderful to be associated with such an awesome mission president(they are all awesome, but hearing stuff about his father is icing on the cake! see you soon!
Post a Comment