Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Vacation tickers

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Retro Night in the PICU


OK, I am well aware this is not a flattering picture but it was soooo fun! Pamela and I often talk about how we wanted to be nurses as children because we loved the cool uniforms and hats and then when we grew up and BECAME a nurse, scrubs are in and no one ever wears a hat. So, Kerri was game enough to join us as we had a retro night. Of course, the joke was on us...Kerri had to float to 9 East (so she wasn't in the PICU at all that night!) and Pam and I were crazy busy...everyone laughed when as Charge Nurse I had to respond to a Rapid Response with skirts a flying down the corridor!! (But my cap stayed securely fastened upon my head thank you very much!!) I love what I do and am so very thankful that I was given the opportunity to follow my dream and become a nurse. (Thanks to my incredible husband!) People ask all the time, "How can you handle working in the PICU...kids shouldn't have to be so sick." Agreed but the sad fact is that they do get sick, have tragic accidents, overdose, get abused, survive the NICU (don't get me started!)...and SOMEONE needs to care for them and their families. And the best part is that almost always, we fix them and send them home better than before! There is no high on earth equal to having a child come in hanging on by a thread, utilize all of your knowledge, skill, and energy healing and then see them improve and soon they are driving you nuts trying to climb out of bed!! It is an awesome feeling. And yes, there are times when we lose and it is heartrending beyond my ability to describe. Even then, I am glad I am there to try to comfort the family and help bring a measure of peace. It always makes me return home and hug my babies (of all ages) and be so thankful for eternal families!

7 comments:

Pamelia said...

I love your outfits.

Anonymous said...

wow! First of all I love your outfits, how fun. Second, You are an AMAZING storyteller, which brings me to , THIRD, I was wondering if you had a moment if you could write a blog about a normal night in the PICU.

LaNelle said...

That is a good idea Mary Beth! Mom you should tell the world what its like to be a PICU nurse (minus the nurse words that only you smart people understand hehe) And you said that is a horrible picture, I think its cute! And you look less like the pillsbury dough boy than I remember (just kidding, you know I love you!)

Libbi said...

I am writing a book of PICU stories and will start posting some..names and people changed for privacy, etc etc etc. thanks MB for the idea!

Jean said...

I actually thought you look cute in your nurse outfit....coming from a parent of peds patients, however; we do like the scubs without hats...Noah was always scared of white lab coats and anything that looked "too medical"! Lauren doesn't care and likes to be in charge when she is in the hospital and Michael doesn't care either way! You are definitely fulfilling your calling as a nurse...you are just perfect as one who can heal broken hearts and help give comfort in times of need...you have given me such strength by letting me feel what I feel...I love you for it more than you will ever know! I am thankful you followed your dream...it makes me happy and so many other people blessed! I love you! Jean

Libbi said...

I know...kids are afraid of the whites so we in peds will wear kid friendly scrubs but since our patients are usually chemically sedated and intubated, it was ok for that night!!

Donna said...

You are the most beautiful nurse I've ever seen. I regret not having the opportunity to work beside you. Charge nurse already. I knew you would make a great PICU nurse. Keep in touch and E-mail me some time. I really miss you.
Love Donna