
Pete and I were married in 1984 in a ceremony performed by my Dad at Summerton Baptist Church. It was beautiful and I cherish the memory. However; even on that beautiful happy day, a part of my heart cried silently in protest when I had to repeat the words "till death do us part". I couldn't imagine being happy without Pete. Years later, with the help of some long suffering dedicated home teachers, righteous missionaries, good friends and family and, mostly, the Holy Spirit , Pete came to know and accept the truth I already knew and he was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of latter day Saints. It was the absolute most joyous day of my life to enter the doors of the Atlanta temple and see standing waiting for us, dressed in white, that awesome home teacher, Preston Brooksby. He opened his arms and it was one of those moments that you treasure forever...I've always thought it would be that way in heaven when we pass through the veil and see our Savior waiting for us. We were surrounded by ward members and family that dayas we received our endowments and were sealed as husband and wife for all eternity. Four of our children were brought to us and we kneeled around the altar and were sealed as a family. It was not quite the experience I had dreamed of as Patti had just woke from a nap and screamed the entire time making it necessary for grandma, sister Brooksby, Aunt Kim and Meg to help hold her (I guess we're sealed to everyone!). Four year old Andrew couldn't be convinced that "sealing" didn't mean he'd be stuck to us like glue so afterwards he grinned and said "I lifted my hand so I'm not stuck to y'all" (let's hope his Heavenly Father ignored that!) Andrew then proceeded to point his finger at everyone in the room and say, "Hand over your bag, Granny!" (Is anyone who knows Andrew surprised?) Now, realize that we had been preparing for months for this spiritual moment...we'd had many family home evenings about the temple, our home teachers had used a piano bench as an altar and we'd talked about kneeling. Pete and I had fasted and prayed...I was mortified and tearfully apologized to the sealer. I will never forget his words.."Oh, Sister Sheridan, do not apologize for Heavenly Father's children in his home. they belong to him in here, not you. He surely loves this young boy and I feel him smiling down on him. Rejoice in his children this day." And so, it was good. Better than good, it was AWESOME!!! Best of all, I get to be with Pete forever. What could be better than that?






3 comments:
How beautiful, Libbi!!!
That was beautiful!! (sorry you don't really know me, though i'm positive we've met before...) i check your blog often and thought i comment on this, b/c it was so beautiful and brought tears to my eyes!!
I'm so glad you're an eternal family!
I know you Ashley! I met you when you came home with Mary Beth...Thank you!
Post a Comment