Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Vacation tickers

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

AACN NTI Conference

My friends and co-workers, Sue and Regan, and I decided to attend this year's AACN NTI conference (critical care nurses). Kathy was going to go but had to cancel at the last minute. Our director of education, her husband and two of our educators also attended (that includes my good friend Jill!) Sue's sweet sweet neice graciously welcomed us into her gorgeous condo for the week...she and her husband and baby boy were awesome!
We were VERY EXCITED to be at this national convention in Washington DC with over 7,000 critical care nurses!!! Opening ceremony was inspiring!!!!
the expo was in the basements of the convention center and covered two city blocks!! It was a bit overwhelming...
We found a little breakfast joint called First Cup Cafe and we enjoyed getting off of our feet each morning!! and the food was GOOD...especially their MUFFINS!
These medical products companies stop at NOTHING trying to lure nurses to their booths...this model does not resemble any patient I have ever had!!! (but the nurses all stopped at his booth!)
Sue and I loved the Army booth...and they gave us surgical hats and ALSO gave us a hat and a scrub top for one of our docs! We have a fellow nurse (love you Melissa!!) in the reserves and she told us that they had to pack it in on their backs and set up a surgical tent like this in less than 30 minutes...
AH-mazing!
This is the newandimproved allthebellsandwhistles CRRT FLEX machine...mega bucks but we REALLY want one or two for our unit...know any millionaire wanting to donate one???
Next year's AACN theme is STAND TALL and we all received "Tall Stan" (as in flat stanley) to decorate and take back to our units to remind us to STAND TALL for our patients, our hospitals, our units, our professions and ourselves!!
We took a break one night for "Nurses Night Out At The Smithsoniums" This is Jill, me, Sue and Connie (another educator) at the Museum of American History
All the vendors gave out free pens, measuring tapes, flashlights, t-shirts, bandaids, books, hand sanitizers, etc and I brought home a ton of stuff!!!
The expo also had head hunters, shops, colleges, and educational opportunities
Regan and I making one last check to be sure we hadn't forgotten any booth we wanted to visit!
When the convention ended, I had several hours to waste before heading to the airport (I drove up with Sue but she stayed to visit with family and I was ready to come HOME!) Since we hadn't seen D.C., Sue and I took the METRO (I loved navigating around on the Metro) and visited the old Post Office...we saw some sites...
to prove we had actually been in Washington!!
and in this gorgeous old building, I actually found a nail place and got a MUCH NEEDED pedicure before taking the metro to a bus to an airport to fly to Charlotte where Ellen picked me up and drove me HOME!!!
Loved it! Glad I got to go...want to go next year but there truly is
NO PLACE LIKE HOME!!!!!

3 comments:

Jean said...

Wow...what an amazing trip and all the stuff you obviously know and learned more about gave me a headache....you are so smart!! Glad you had a good time!!

Leigh This Way said...

I always love all the free stuff that we get from drug reps and from companies that come and visit us at school. It looks like it was a busy but fun time.

kim e said...

I think it is always neat to see first hand the newest equipment on the market. Glad you had a nice trip.