Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Vacation tickers

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Rest in Peace sweet Spike

(Spike always kept Connor in his sights)
Eighteen months ago, Spike wandered into our yard and firmly into the twinners' hearts. Turns out his owner had died several years before and a neighbor with several other dogs had assumed care of him and was feeding him. The neighbor offered to take him back if he was bothering us but it was obvious to everyone that Spike and the twins had adopted each other. So, we inherited a pet. A very old, gray around the mouth but extremely sweet and loving dog.
I am NOT a dog lover and have NEVER wanted a pet. But, it was too late. It's very hard not to love someone that adores your children. Spike met the schoolbus everyday with a ball in his mouth. Connor never stepped outside that Spike didn't immediately appear at his side. Both twins adored him. Soon, we had dog toys and dog dishes and even a dog bed. He lived outside but every once in a while, he would wander in the door and stay a moment until he confirmed Connor was inside. Last winter, when Chloe and Avery (Peter and Ellen's dogs) came, he actually appeared younger...loving to run and play with Avery. He hated to be fenced in but for Avery, he would willingly go in the fence and stay all day...the only way Peter and Ellen could get Avery to stay inside the fence!!
We all knew he was old and would not be here forever. The last few months he became very very slow, often not eating, and more and more joining Peter in the garage during the day, overseeing its transformation into an apartment. Peter loves animals and I guess Spike felt comfortable with him during his last weeks. On Monday, he stopped meeting the bus. We knew then he was really sick. He wheezed a lot...and coughed and just looked pitiful! Last night, Peter and Ellen came and told me he was seriously suffering. I took the twins in the garage to say goodbye and he barely lifted his head and slowly wagged his tail. They hugged him and sobbed. Connor asked if we could help him. Peter offered to take him to the vet today. We talked about loving Spike enough to let him go. There were torrents of tears.
Pete came home from work early today and went with Peter as he literally carried Spike in to the vet...and the vet confirmed that it was time to end the suffering. Spike went to sleep peacefully as two grown men stood by his side and loved on him through tears.
They just brought him home and as I type this from work, they are burying sweet Spike somewhere in our 5 acres.
I am so sad.
and I don't even LIKE dogs...but Spike, I loved.
I will miss him but I know his last 18 months was happy as he became the center of two children's lives. Sleep well, my friend! You were loyal to the end. We will miss you!




Spike "Sheridan"

5 comments:

Leigh This Way said...

SOBS!! I know how much "most" of your family doesn't like animals but to see that one special dog was able to get into your hearts just makes me smile. I'm so glad the Connor and SB were able to have such a sweet and loyal friend even for a little while. I love my two sweet girls and I just can't imagine my life without them. I'm gonna be an absolute wreck when its their time to go.

Marina said...

I don't "like" dogs either, but you had me crying! Like you said, it's not hard to love someone who loves your children. Peace to all of you....

Mikelene said...

Marina took the words right out of my mouth! Hugs to your family.

lrtexrob said...

I was teary eyed reading this. I have a dog and if something happened to my baby, I would be heart broken.

kim e said...

I know the twins will miss their pet.
Nice they can visit him in the back yard. Plant a flower or tree next to him to remember him by.